This article walks Canvas administrators through setup of the Canvas LTI integration with BrainPOP, BrainPOP Jr., and BrainPOP ELL.
IN THIS ARTICLE
What you'll Need
- A paid School or District plan including at least one of the following products: BrainPOP, BrainPOP Jr., BrainPOP ELL
- Administrator access to Canvas
- The configuration URL listed in the Canvas EduAppCenter
- Your Key and Secret (If you do not know your key and secret, please Contact Us.)
Setup for Admins
- In Canvas, click Courses, then choose a course.
- Click Settings.
- Click on the Apps tab, then search for "BrainPOP".
- Click on the BrainPOP app then click Add App.
- Enter your Consumer Key and Shared Secret, then click Add App. To find your Key and Secret, Contact Us.
- If you'd prefer to create a new manual LTI tool instead, you can. You should set the fields as follows:
- Configuration Type: Manual Entry
- Name: BrainPOP
- Consumer Key & Secret: Contact Us
- Launch URL: https://www.brainpop.com/lti/tool/launch.php?tool=yes
- Domain: www.brainpop.com
- Privacy: Public
NOTE: Removing the "?tool=yes" string from the Launch URL will enable SSO to the BrainPOP homepage, and disable the topic selector feature.
7. The BrainPOP external tool will now appear on your course dashboard.
8. Teachers can use the tool in different ways in Canvas. It can be embedded in an Assignment, or in a Module within the Canvas course.
Using the Tool in Canvas
Teachers can use the tool in different ways in Canvas. It can be embedded in an Assignment or in a Module within the Canvas course.
- To embed in an Assignment, click Add Assignment. Add a title and instructions to the body of the assignment.
- Scroll down to submission type and select External Tool. Then click Find, and select the BrainPOP tool.
- After adding the Assignment title and desired detail, click Save.
- If you are accessing the BrainPOP tool, the topic selector for BrainPOP will appear. (Alternatively, if your administrator has configured the tool to launch to the homepage, you will see the BrainPOP homepage.)
Choose a topic by searching with keywords, or browsing the subject areas.
- After selecting your topic, you can publish your assignment. When the assignment is accessed, the teacher or student will be launched and logged into the selected topic page.
Rich Text Editor and Course Navigation Link
The Canvas app also includes a Rich Text Editor and/or course navigation link to our Canvas LTI integration.
NOTE:Canvas administrators who have set up LTI integration before February 2018 should revisit the Eduappcenter and use the updated configuration URL in order to access the Rich Text Editor and course navigation links.
You can use the Rich Text Editor to select and embed BrainPOP topic LTI links directly into your Canvas assignments, rather than selecting the external tool submission type below the editor.
There is also a link along the left hand side, which will provide single sign-on to the BrainPOP homepage.
1. Click the Rich Text Editor to bring up a modal with our topic selector.
2. Select a topic to embed a link in your assignment.
3. After publishing, the link will provide SSO directly to the selected topic.
Now that the integration has been set up, teachers can create their accounts.
Frequently Asked Questions
We already have an SSO integration set up with G Suite or Clever. Can we set up an LMS integration, too?
Unfortunately, we can only support one back-end integration with BrainPOP at once. Subscribers who are initially set up with one SSO and attempt to access via another may result in the creation of duplicate accounts. We recommend that you only set up one integration at a time, but if you are considering changing your integration, please let us know and we'll be happy to help.
There are teachers and students in my school/district already using individual accounts. When I set up the integration, can they continue using their existing individual accounts, or do they need to create new ones via the LMS?
When teachers who already have individual accounts use the LTI app for the first time, they will be prompted to match their existing individual accounts to their LMS identities. They will not need to create new accounts, and they will not lose any of their classes or assignments.
Students cannot be matched, unfortunately, since we do not collect student data. You'll need to create new student accounts via the new Schoology integration.
Can I use the LTI tool to launch directly into a feature within a topic?
Not at this time. Currently the launch is configured for topics, but we're considering enabling feature-level launches for the future.