Schools and districts can set up a Single Sign-On (SSO) integration for their BrainPOP plans.
Check out our quick-start guide here!
IN THIS ARTICLE
What you'll Need
- A paid School or District plan including at least one of the following products: BrainPOP, BrainPOP Jr., or BrainPOP ELL
- Access to one of our integration partner's tools: Clever, Classlink Launchpad, Google SSO, or any LMS with LTI tools
All of our integrations provide SSO and individual account creation functionality, but solutions differ in how individual accounts are created and updated. You can find out more in the comparison table below.
|Clever||Classlink/OneRoster API||Google SSO||LTI|
SSO (Single Sign On)
Easily log in with the click of a button
Create and update BrainPOP teacher and student accounts
|Automatic global provisioning and nightly syncs||Automatic global provisioning and nightly syncs||On demand||On demand|
Sync classes and students
|Automatic rostering and nightly syncs||Automatic rostering and nightly syncs||Google Classroom import||On demand|
Embedded Topic Selector
Search and select a topic in your LMS
Here's a little more detail on the features of our Clever integration:
- Single Sign-On - Teachers and students can sign in via the Clever portal or by choosing to 'Sign in with Clever' on one of the BrainPOP homepages. They won't need a separate BrainPOP username and password.
- Automatic Account Provisioning - All teacher and student accounts across the Clever district or Clever school are automatically created when data is shared by the school or district and provisioned in our system.
- Automatic Rostering - All classes are synced automatically from Clever to our system. No class setup is required from teachers.
- Nightly Data Syncs - Any changes or updates that occur within accounts, classes, or school associations will be reflected in BrainPOP the day after we receive the changes from Clever.
Classlink/OneRoster API Features
The Classlink/OneRoster integration offers the following features:
- Single Sign-On with LTI - Teachers and students can sign in without needing a separate BrainPOP username and password.
- Automatic Provisioning - All teacher and student accounts across the OneRoster district or school are automatically created when data is shared by the school or district and provisioned in our system.
- Automatic Rostering - All classes are synced automatically from OneRoster API to our system. No class setup is required from teachers.
- Nightly Data Syncs - Any changes or updates that occur within accounts, classes, or school associations will be reflected in BrainPOP the day after we receive the changes from the OneRoster API.
Google SSO Features
Our Google SSO integration offers the following features:
- Single Sign-On - Teachers and students have the option of clicking the BrainPOP app in their Google workspace apps launcher, or visiting our site directly and clicking 'Sign in with Google.' They won't need a separate BrainPOP username and password.
- On Demand Account Creation - Accounts for teachers and students are created instantly the first time they access the SSO integration. Teachers and students may need one-time-use educator and class codes, depending on the way your Google domain is organized.
- On Demand Rostering with Google Classroom - Teachers can import their rosters directly from Google Classroom. They can update their rosters at any time from their Teacher Dashboard. If teachers don't use Google Classroom, they can create their rosters with a class code.
LTI tool Features
Our LTI tool integrations are supported by Learning Management Systems (LMSs) and other platforms that support the LTI 1.0 standard. LTI integrations support:
- Single Sign-On - Teachers and students can sign in without needing a separate BrainPOP username and password.
- On Demand Account Creation - Accounts for teachers and students are created instantly the first time they use the SSO. Teachers may need a one-time-use educator code. Students will need one-time-use class codes to create their accounts.
- Embedded Topic Selector - The BrainPOP LTI app includes a launch option that allows you to search and select particular topics, as well as a traditional SSO option that launches to the homepage. (BrainPOP Jr and BrainPOP ELL LTI apps only offer SSO to the homepages).
Choosing an Integration
Each school can only use one integration at one time, so we recommend choosing an integration that will be the best entry point for the majority of your teachers and students.
In making a choice of integration, consider whether automatic account provisioning and automatic class rostering are essential features for you. At this time, our Clever and Classlink/OneRoster API integrations offer these popular features.
Our Google SSO and LTI integrations offer on-demand account creation, which means that accounts are not created until they are needed by the teacher or student. Teachers have to create their accounts and their classes before students can log in successfully.
If you have existing teacher or student accounts, or an existing integration, and you're thinking of changing your onboarding method, we recommend reading our article on Changing Integrations.
We want to make sure teachers and students can easily log in. If you are still considering which integration is the best fit, just Contact Us.
Once you have selected the right integration for your school or district, you can find setup instructions in these articles:
- Set Up a Clever Integration
- Set Up a Classlink/OneRoster API Integration
- Set Up a Google SSO Integration
- Set up LTI Tools
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I set up more than one integration?
We currently only support one SSO integration per school. This is because different integration partners do not use the same IDs to recognize schools, teachers, students and classes, so therefore it's usually not possible for us to match entities from one partner to another. If you need help deciding which integration to use, try reading Choosing an Integration.
If we set up an integration, can teachers and students who do not have access to the integration partner still access BrainPOP?
Yes. If you have an integration set up, but not all users are able to access the integration, you can still have teachers and students set up who are not affiliated with the integration using our other methods. You can find out more about other onboarding methods in these articles: Create Educator Accounts and Create Student Accounts.
I'm a teacher and not an administrative contact for my school/district. Can I just set up an integration for myself?
No. SSO integrations must be set up at the school or district level by an account administrator.