You can set up a Google SSO integration for a School or District plan with the BrainPOP, BrainPOP Jr., BrainPOP Science and BrainPOP ELL apps from the Google Workspace Marketplace.
IN THIS ARTICLE
What you'll Need
- A paid School or District plan to at least one of the following products: BrainPOP, BrainPOP Jr., BrainPOP ELL, BrainPOP Science
- Familiarity with the Google Workspace integration features: Getting Started with Integrations
- Super administrator permission to your Google domain
- A single Google domain with teachers and students in separate Organizational Units
If your school or district has more than one domain, or if you use aliases for teachers or students, Contact Us before proceeding with the instructions below.
Install the Google Workspace Marketplace Apps
Google super admins should download the relevant product apps for their plan in the Google Workspace Marketplace.
Here's where to find each app:
- BrainPOP: https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/brainpop/90409726456
- BrainPOP Jr.: https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/brainpop_jr/519154527018
- BrainPOP ELL: https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/brainpop_ell/306340625596
- BrainPOP Science: https://workspace.google.com/marketplace/app/brainpop_science/841672970403
After you install the apps, you're ready to turn the apps on.
If you are setting up on a school level, you should turn the apps on for all OUs. If you are setting up on a district level, you should turn the apps on for all OUs that should have access, including the OU your Super Admin account belongs to.
Ask us to Link your Domain
Fill out the form found here and provide us with your school or district domain and your Google Domain Super Admin email address so we can link your domain for you.
Setting up with OUs
After installing the apps, and getting a confirmation from us that your Domain has been successfully set up on our end, you can configure your OUs if they follow our required OU structure.
Evaluate your Organizational Unit (OU) structure. If your domain has teachers and students in separate OUs by school building, you qualify to move on in this step. If your domain does not separate teachers into OUs by school building, you will need to provide teachers with their school's unique educator code to to be rostered.
- Go to your the BrainPOP App in your Google Market Place Apps.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Go to BrainPOP for Configuration.
-If this is your first time configuring OUs with us, you will be brought to the following page.
Confirm the items at the bottom of the page and click Continue.
-If you have set up OUs with us before, you will see the image below.
4. Confirm that your OUs are separated by students and teachers and building. Click Continue.
5. Select the school you would like to provision first. Click Continue.
6. Select the Teachers and Student OUs for the school you have just chosen and click Continue.
7. Success! You should now receive confirmation that the school has been successfully provisioned and you will have the option to provision another school and repeat the steps.
If you are installing more than one of the BrainPOP apps, you only need to complete the configuration steps for the first app. Other apps, once installed on the same domain, will inherit the existing setup and configuration applied to the first app.
Setting up Without OUs
If you don't use the OU structure we require, that's ok! You can distribute the Educator Code for your school or schools to teachers. The Educator Code allows teachers to create individual BrainPOP accounts with Google SSO the first time they log into the apps.
To see how teachers use the Educator Code to create their accounts with Google SSO, read this article: Create Teacher Accounts with Google SSO.
Once teachers create their accounts, they can create classes: Create Classes and Students with Google SSO.
If you don't know your Educator Code(s), read this article for instructions on how to find them in your Admin Dashboard: Create Educator Accounts with Educator Codes
"Your Google domain isn't linked to your BrainPOP subscription yet!"
This error message usually means that setup steps have not been completed correctly. If you have set up with OUs, be sure you have turned the app on for all relevant OUs including the one your email is in!
"Only admins can access this section"
There are a few things that may be causing this error message.
- You must be a super admin (rather than an admin) to configure the app.
- The app must be turned on for the OU that includes your super admin account. When changing settings and configuration, we recommend turning the apps on for all OUs.
- Check to make sure that administrative APIs are enabled on your domain:
- From the Google admin console, go to Security > API Reference.
- Check Enable API access.
- Click Save changes.
- Check that data access is granted to the BrainPOP app in the BrainPOP app settings in the Google admin console.
Frequently Asked Questions
A new school has subscribed to BrainPOP since we set up our Google SSO integration. How do I update the app settings?
First, make sure the BrainPOP app is turned on for the new school. Then click Go to BrainPOP for Configuration in the BrainPOP app settings. You should see your newly subscribed school listed. Click the school and follow the prompts to select OUs for that school's teachers and students.
Our Organizational Units on the domain have changed. How do I make updates to the configuration of the BrainPOP apps?
You can update the OU configuration at any time by returning to Go to BrainPOP for Configuration in the BrainPOP app settings. From there, go through each school and select the updated OUs for teachers and students.
The email domains we are using have changed since we set up our Google Workspace integration. Will the integration still work?
If the emails on on your domain have changed, you'll need to update the emails for teachers in order to continue allowing teachers to log in via Google SSO. That's because we match teacher accounts via email when logging in. We don't collect student email addresses, so if your student emails change, there's no need to update any settings on our end to maintain normal functioning of the apps.
If you have access to the BrainPOP Admin Dashboard, you can update your teachers' emails via CSV: Updating Educator Accounts.
Still having trouble?
If you don't have access to the Admin Dashboard, or if you're having difficulty, feel free to Contact Us and one of our agents will help you out as soon as they can!