Here are some common issues you may run into with your Classlink/OneRoster API integration and our recommendations for resolving them.
IN THIS ARTICLE
- If a teacher or student reports login trouble, check the District Admin Dashboard in BrainPOP to see if you can locate the teacher or student. If you don’t see them, it may point to a data sharing problem with the Roster Server. If you do see them, please Contact Us to investigate.
- Make sure the appropriate LTI apps are shared with the appropriate schools. If signing in with Classlink/OneRoster API works for one product (i.e. BrainPOP) but not another (i.e. BrainPOP Jr. or BrainPOP ELL), it’s possible the school doesn't subscribe to that specific product. Check their product access in the District Admin Dashboard in BrainPOP.
- The integration will automatically roster all teachers with teacher roles and students in classes. If you have administrators that require SSO access, make sure they also have teacher roles in OneRoster API.
- Our product does not yet support students in multiple schools. Each student can only be in one school.
- If you have a teacher in multiple schools, we will roster all schools where the teacher has rosters.
- If you have co-teachers set up in OneRoster API, we do not yet roster those users into BrainPOP. This is a feature our development team is working to offer soon.
- We receive the OneRoster API updates nightly, but changes in the SIS can take up to 48 hours to be reflected on our side.
- If you need to Contact Us to assist, please include the name, school association, and sourcedid for the user or period.
Troubleshooting During Integration Setup
If teachers and students are reporting trouble signing in, the first thing you should do is confirm that the credentials in the app settings are correct. The launch URLs for our respective products are listed below for reference:
- BrainPOP: https://www.brainpop.com/lti/launch.php
- BrainPOP Jr.: https://jr.brainpop.com/lti/launch.php
- BrainPOP ELL: https://ell.brainpop.com/lti/launch.php
Make sure there aren't any additional characters or spaces in the launch URLs or the Key and Secret we originally shared with you. If you need to confirm that your Key and Secret are still current, please Contact Us.
In addition, be sure that the additional settings for the BrainPOP apps in Classlink are set as follows:
- Resource Link ID set to: SSO
- User ID for the app set to: User SourcedId
- Custom section in the app for: custom_oneroster_sourcedid : %usersourcedid%
As a teacher, you or your students may come across some of the following error message when signing in using Classlink/OneRoster API.
"Your system is not properly set up for single sign-on with BrainPOP" error message when signing in.
This message indicates the integration is not yet fully set up for your school or district. It may also mean the integration has been set up but has not bee applied to your specific user group. Contact your administrator to check whether this is the case.
"The email address entered has an existing account in our system" token prompt when signing in.
If you are a teacher and you have an existing account with BrainPOP, you will receive this prompt the first time you log in via LTI.
Clicking "Send Token" will trigger an email with a unique token that you can enter to log into your account. Once you've used the token, you can sign in successfully, and you should not see this prompt again.
Frequently Asked Questions
I do not see an error message but my class roster is not up to date. What are my next steps?
We receive the OneRoster API updates nightly, but changes in the SIS can take up to 48 hours to be reflected on our side.
If you are a teacher who logs into your account and sees that the nightly roster syncs do not appear to be taking place for classes, contact us and we will be able to troubleshoot further.