You can set up a G Suite integration for a School or District plan with the BrainPOP, BrainPOP JR, and BrainPOP ELL apps from the G Suite Marketplace.
IN THIS ARTICLE
What you'll Need
- A paid School or District plan to at least one of the following products: BrainPOP, BrainPOP Jr., BrainPOP ELL
- Familiarity with the G Suite integration features: Getting Started with Integrations
- Super administrator permission to your G Suite domain
- A single G Suite domain with teachers and students in separate Organizational Units
If your school or district has more than one domain, or if you use aliases for teachers or students, Contact Us before proceeding with the instructions below.
Install the G Suite Marketplace Apps
G Suite super admins should download the relevant product apps for their plan in the G Suite Marketplace.
Here's where to find each app:
- BrainPOP: https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/brainpop/90409726456
- BrainPOP Jr.: https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/brainpop_jr/519154527018
- BrainPOP ELL: https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/brainpop_ell/306340625596
If you are installing up more than one of the BrainPOP apps, you only need to complete the setup and configuration steps for the first app. Other apps, once installed on the same domain, will inherit the existing setup and configuration applied to the first app.
Set up the Apps
After installing the apps, you'll be prompted to Complete additional setup now to link the Marketplace app to your BrainPOP plan.
If you skip this step or need to come back and edit later, you can go to the BrainPOP app settings in the G Suite admin console and choose Go to BrainPOP for Setup.
If your G Suite domain is for your school, you will link the domain to the shared BrainPOP credentials for your school. If your G Suite domain is districtwide, you should link the domain to district-level credentials. Just Contact Us to get those credentials.
Click Link Account to establish the connection between your G Suite domain and your BrainPOP plan.
Next, evaluate your Organizational Unit (OU) structure. If your domain has teachers in separate OUs by school building, you should advance to the next section in this article: Configure the App. If your domain does not separate teachers into OUs by school building, you can proceed to step 5 in this section.
- In the Admin Console, turn the app(s) on for all Organizational Units on your domain that should have access. Make sure the app is also on for the OU to which your super admin account belongs, as this is essential for authenticating teachers and students across the domain.
- You can now distribute the Educator Code for your school or schools to teachers. The Educator Code allows teachers to create individual BrainPOP accounts with G Suite the first time they log into the apps. If you don't know your Educator Code(s), read this article for instructions on how to find them in your Admin Dashboard: Create Educator Accounts with Educator Codes
To see how teachers use the Educator Code to create their accounts with G Suite, read this article: Create Teacher Accounts with G Suite.
Once teachers create their accounts, they can create classes: Create Classes and Students with G Suite
Configure the Apps
If your Google domain has organizational units that separate teachers out by their school building, you can configure the app so that teachers are automatically provisioned to their schools the first time they log in.
- Click Go to BrainPOP for Configuration step in the BrainPOP app settings.
- The requirements for successful provisioning are listed on this screen. You will need to read and agree to them by clicking the checkboxes and clicking Continue.
- If you administer multiple schools in your google domain, you will provision each school in sequence. Choose the first school and click Continue.
- Choose OUs for teachers that belong to the school you have selected. You can use the + to expand sections to reveal nested OUs, which you should select if not all the accounts in the top level OU should be provisioned. Click Continue.
NOTE: Backslashes (\) and commas (,) in the names of OUs can result in errors during teacher and student login. If any OUs contain this character, please remove before continuing the configuration.
- Choose the student OUs for the school. If your students are separated into OUs that are not by school building; for example, by grade level, you should choose all the student OUs that contain students at that school site.
- After selecting the OUs, you will have the option to provision another school. Choose Provision Another School to repeat the steps above for each school.
NOTE: If you are provisioning multiple schools, be careful that you do not provision the same teacher OUs to more than one school. Each teacher OU can be provisioned to only one school at one time. If your teacher OUs are not broken out by school building, consult step 5 in the section above: Set Up the Apps.
- In the Admin Console, turn the app(s) on for all Organizational Units on your domain that should have access. Make sure the app is on for the OU to which your super admin account belongs, as this is essential for authenticating teachers and students across the domain.
Troubleshooting G Suite Setup
You can find common error messages encountered during setup and configuration in this section.
"Sorry, your login information did not match an existing account".
You must link the BrainPOP app to schoolwide or districtwide login credentials. If you are using a personal admin account, or a login for another type of plan (like a Teacher, Family, or Homeschool plan), you will get this message. Contact Us to get your school or district credentials.
"Our records show that there are more registered users associated with your Google Domain than your BrainPOP subscription allows"
Check to make sure that the shared login you are inputting matches the domain level. For example, if your domain is districtwide, you will receive this error if you attempt to input a schoolwide username and password. You will need to link the app to your districtwide credentials instead. Contact us to verify that you're inputting the correct credentials.
"This Google domain doesn't appear to be linked to a BrainPOP subscription"
This error message usually means that setup steps have not been completed correctly. Return to App Setup and ensure that you are typing the correct shared login for your school or district.
"Only admins can access this section"
There are a few things that may be causing this error message.
- You must be a super admin (rather than an admin) to configure the app.
- The app must be turned on for the OU that includes your super admin account. When changing settings and configuration, we recommend turning the apps on for all OUs.
- Check to make sure that administrative APIs are enabled on your domain:
- From the Google admin console, go to Security > API Reference.
- Check Enable API access.
- Click Save changes.
- Check that data access is granted to the BrainPOP app in the BrainPOP app settings in the Google admin console.
Frequently Asked Questions
A new school has subscribed to BrainPOP since we set up our G Suite integration. How do I update the app settings?
First, make sure the BrainPOP app is turned on for the new school. Then click Go to BrainPOP for Configuration in the BrainPOP app settings. You should see your newly subscribed school listed. Click the school and follow the prompts to select OUs for that school's teachers and students.
Our Organizational Units on the domain have changed. How do I make updates to the configuration of the BrainPOP apps?
You can update the OU configuration at any time by returning to Go to BrainPOP for Configuration in the BrainPOP app settings. From there, go through each school and select the updated OUs for teachers and students.
The email domains we are using have changed since we set up our G Suite integration. Will the integration still work?
If the emails on on your domain have changed, you'll need to update the emails for teachers in order to continue allowing teachers to log in via G Suite. That's because we match teacher accounts via email when logging in. We don't collect student email addresses, so if your student emails change, there's no need to update any settings on our end to maintain normal functioning of the apps.
If you have access to the BrainPOP Admin Dashboard, you can update your teachers' emails via CSV: Updating Educator Accounts.
If you don't have access to the Admin Dashboard, or if you're having difficulty, feel free to Contact Us and we will help.